Saturday, November 30, 2013

Heather

11/30/13

Happy Birthday Heather!  28 years ago at 6 a.m. I was admitted into the Navy Hospital at Patuxent River, Maryland in active labor and at 6:46 a.m. you were born.  My first child.  My only daughter.

For as long as I can remember, I wanted to get married and have children.  As a child, my favorite toys were dolls and all they encompassed.  I knew I wanted more than one child and I knew I wanted at least one girl.  I did not know you were a girl when I was carrying you.  I'll never forget that moment when I heard the words, "it's a girl!".  I cried tears of joy.  My heart was full and overflowing.

I had decided not long after I had met your Daddy that your name would be Heather, since I loved the way Heather Hodges sounded together.  Your middle name, Rochelle, came from a baby book.  Your Grandma Ethel pointed out your initials, HRH, stood for "her royal highness".  When your Grandpa came to see you the day you were born and you opened your eyes he said, "She's so smart!  She opened her eyes already!"  I reminded him that babies could open their eyes and maybe he was thinking about puppies, but he was convinced you were the smartest baby ever!  He wasn't wrong.

I'm sorry, but you didn't get any presents your first Christmas (you were not even a month old).  We didn't have any money for presents, but I felt like the richest person alive.  You were the sweetest, most agreeable baby.  You slept through the night at 7 weeks.  As you got big enough to move around and reach things, I only had to tell you no once.  A stern look from Daddy or me would usually be all it took to correct you.  You made us look like fantastic parents...but I know better.

Some funny things I remember:
  • You were about 5 and I had been dieting and you overheard me tell someone I had lost weight.  You said, "I can tell you lost weight Mommy!"  Just as I was feeling all proud of my accomplishments, you continued, "your toes look skinnier!"  Thanks sweetie...thanks a lot.
  • I think you were 4 when someone asked what you wanted to be when you grew up and you said, "a skeleton!"  I don't know what prompted that, it was probably around Halloween.  I'm glad you chose Dental Hygienist since I hear Skeleton doesn't pay that well.
  • Speaking of Halloween, the year you were 9 you wanted to be a Power Ranger and wouldn't be happy until I made you the Pink Power Ranger costume.  Well, it had four billion different pieces to sew together out of pink and white felt which took me forever to make and when you put it on for trick-or-treat, you hated it because, "it was hot and scratchy."  Uhhhhh...you're welcome?
You are the best big sister.  When I was pregnant with Ricky, you said you hoped he was a boy.  When I asked you why you said, "Because if I have a sister, she will try to steal all my boyfriends".  You were three when he came home from the hospital and you loved him so.  I remember when you found out that all babies do not have feeding tubes in their tummies, like your brother did.  Even at your young age, you showed him compassion far beyond your years.  Ricky died when you were 5 and although you thought your heart would break in two, you knew he was safe with Jesus.

When Bobby came along you were 8 and like his second mommy.  He was born on Groundhog's Day and when you went to school to tell all your classmates, they laughed and teased you that your brother was a groundhog, which made you cry.  I'm so thankful you two are close as adults.

I wrote this poem when you were 7:

Ribbons and bows
Short, stubby toes
Sweet button nose
My little girl

Dressed up in pink
Bracelets that clink
Learning to wink
My little girl

Mud pies for lunch
Weeds in a bunch
Cookies to munch
My little girl

High heels and make-up
Tea in a small cup
Loving your new pup
My little girl

Giggling happy
Boo boos on your knee
Singing "Jesus Loves Me"
My little girl

My heart wants to soar
I couldn't love you more
I thank God that you're
My little girl

Heather, you are the daughter every mother dreams of.  I am so proud of the kind, caring, loyal, thoughtful, strong, hardworking, determined, sweet, funny, compassionate, loving, smart, woman you are.  I thank God for you.  On this day, and everyday, I am blessed to be your mom.  It may be your birthday, but I get the best gift - you.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment