Sunday, July 28, 2013

Rus-Joy Inn

My first job was as a waitress at the Rus-Joy Inn in Manchester, MD.  It was actually in Melrose, but you'd be hard pressed to find Melrose on any map and even if you lived in Melrose, your mailing address was Manchester.

The Rus-Joy Inn was a locally-owned family restaurant that was famous for their fried chicken and their family-style way of serving.  If your family came for dinner and you ordered the fried chicken, it was served on a platter and the sides you chose came in large bowls for everyone to pass and share. 

I started there in 1972 at the age of 15.  My pay was .60 cents an hour plus tips.  I loved working there and was able to save enough money to buy my first car a few years later.  I have many fond memories of my time there, but one thing stands out over the rest.

In 1972, most waitresses wore uniforms.  If you're too young to remember them you may have to Google "waitress uniforms of the 70's" to get an idea of what I'm talking about.  I wore the two-piece pantsuit uniforms.  They were very light, made from nylon-type material.  This particular day I was wearing a uniform I had made.  The restaurant was closed and I was cleaning up before I could clock out and go home.  I was sweeping the floor and thought it was getting awfully hard for me to move and just as I looked down, my boss walked in through the swinging doors from the kitchen to see me standing there...with the broom in my hand....and my uniform pants down around my feet!!  I don't know who was more embarrassed, but I was mortified.  He quickly did an about face and I retrieved my pants from the floor and refastened my zipper.  I quickly finished cleaning and hightailed it home.  We never spoke of that day.

I learned so much from that first job.  How to manage money, how to deal with a wide variety of people, how to make a milkshake and most importantly....to always, always sew a hook and eye closure at the top of your zipper when you make uniform pants.

3 comments:

  1. Hey bet you make a mean milkshake..make me one sometime Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonder if any pictures of Rus-Joy still exist. My friends don't remember it. I'm trying to describe it but I don't remember what it looked like

    ReplyDelete