Friday, July 26, 2013

Military on my mind

I'm about 9, which would make my brother, Danny, 11.  In the yard we've pitched Dad's pup tent and I have a green metal helmet on my head and a military backpack on my back.  I'm running as Danny calls out, "HIT THE DIRT!"  I do a belly flop into the soft grass and wait for my next command.  Danny is the Drill Instructor and I am his recruit.  We spend many days playing, what our dad did for real.

I've been a military dependent for 48 of my 56 years.  My Dad is a Marine (I'm not going to say he "was" a Marine since they say you never stop being a Marine).  He spent 20 years on active duty and retired in 1968.

I met Bob when he was a young Sailor, and when he asked if he could come over to see me, I told him yes as long as he wore his uniform.  Something about a military uniform gives me the vapors!  Well he wore his uniform and the rest is history.  Everything I had learned from being a military brat came in very handy when I married Bob.  I was an old pro at moving and understood what was expected of, and in store for, the family of the military member.  Bob served 23 1/2 years in the Navy aboard the aircraft carriers Nimitz, Forrestal, Lexington and Enterprise; and shore duty in Patuxent River, MD and Pensacola, FL.  We loved Pensacola so much we never left! 

Now a new military chapter is starting in our lives as our son, Bobby, has joined the Navy and leaves for boot camp in November.  To say we are proud of him is an understatement...you bet your Yankee Doodle Dandy we are!

I will always get a lump in my throat when they play the National Anthem, Taps, the Marine Corps Hymn or Anchors Away.  Whenever I can I will stand and salute with my hand over my heart in appreciation for their sacrifice and service...and then I will kneel and pray for their safe return.

No comments:

Post a Comment