Friday, August 25, 2017

She Works Hard For The Money

I've been thinking about work lately.  I started working in 1972 at age 15.  I've had 14 paying jobs. Here are some work memories:

Rus Joy Inn, Waitress.  I made 60 cents an hour plus tips.  Working weekends and some evenings I saved enough money to pay cash for my first car, a used grey Mazda for $2,000.  I sold it before I moved to Virginia to a young guy who saw the "for sale" sign and said God had told him to buy the first grey car he saw.

Manchester Sewing Factory, Sewing Machine Operator.  I sewed pockets on the outside of men's leisure suits and disposable clothing used in hospitals.  It was piece-work meaning you were paid for the amount you sewed.  Most of the other employees were middle-aged ladies with bee-hive hairdos. One girl was my age (18).  She was deaf and taught me sign language.

Westminster Shoe Factory, Sewing Machine Operator.  I sewed shoes, mainly the seam down the back.  This job was also piece-work. My fingers would crack open and bleed because the leather and suede dried out your skin. Bee-hives ruled here too.  To this day I can't buy a pair of shoes without looking at the sewing.

Fleet Accounting & Dispersing Center, File Clerk.  Civil Service!  This was a temporary job I knew would only last 4 months, but I took it in hopes of securing a full-time position.  This was my first job in an office setting.  I sat at a desk and pushed buttons and a file drawer would come out of the wall on tracts until it reached me and I would either file documents or remove them for other workers.  In those short 4 months I learned Government work was probably not going to be a good fit for me when my supervisor pulled me aside to tell me to slow down because I was working too fast and making the other workers look bad.

Colonial Chevrolet, Executive Secretary.  I was hired as a Title Clerk and later was promoted to Executive Secretary.  This job was pivotal for me.  Up until this time I had mostly worked in factories.  I wanted an office job and I knew I could do it, but without experience it was hard to get your foot in the door.  I knew the girl who was leaving as Title Clerk (she was my future step-mother's, sister's, step-daughter - ha, ha...I can't make this stuff up!).  She put in a good word for me so when I went in for my interview with the Vice President he told me usually he wouldn't hire without experience, but since I was recommended he gave me a shot.  I will never forget him and what he did for me that day.  I worked for Colonial when I met and married Bob.  When Bob got orders and I had to give my notice I cried, I really loved that job.

Warrington Baptist Church, Secretary.  This was the first job I took after Ricky died.  I had not worked for several years and wanted to find something that wasn't stressful.

Jerry Pate Turf & Irrigation, Service Coordinator.  When I interviewed for this position with the Service Manager in 1995, I didn't receive a call back and after 2 weeks figured they hired someone else.  I did receive a call 3 weeks later asking if I had found a job yet and when I said no, he offered me the position.  He had hired another girl, but she only stayed 2 weeks. He told me later that I had been his first choice, but he was leery to hire me since I had worked for a Church and was afraid I'd try to save his soul.  I spent 22 years there.  So many stories that I'm sure will be the subject of future blogs.  I'd still be there if it wasn't for a higher calling.  These people are my second family and I love them.

Now I'm Granny and I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing.  I'm humbled at the opportunity.  "Already knows, these are the good times."    

No comments:

Post a Comment